College World Series & March Madness
College World Series & March Madness

For College World Series and March Madness Fantasy members

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

-100 rule change?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
sirspe

PostSubject: -100 rule change?   Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:32 am

Only a suggestion, but I want to know what people think (and of course the Commish has final say).

I understand the need for a penalty to hold team to the games limit, but -100 seems very harsh.
Not only does it deter teams from going over, it deters teams from setting lineups in advance in fear of going over the games limit. And, -100 makes a team look worse in the "national poll" than it really is.

My solution: If any team goes over the game limit (which still would rarely happen), they lose the top point scorer from that day for each extra game (regardless of the game's start time).

For instance: Let's say I had 2 games left to play going into Sunday. Amare and Durant play at 1pm and they each have 55 point games. But if I exceed my total by playing Rafer Alston in an 8pm game and he scores 22 points, then Durant's 55 points are subtracted from my total. And if I play Eddie House that night also, scoring 18 points, then Amare's 55 points are subtracted too.

It's easy (as the "who played last" question never is a factor). It's always a penalty (you can only hurt yourself by playing extra games). But if you deserve the win, you may still win.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackemperor

PostSubject: Re: -100 rule change?   Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:07 am

That's a good option but the league has started already and would perfer not to change things now. I wouldn't mind having that for next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LM CWS(nbcards)
Admin

PostSubject: Re: -100 rule change?   Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:56 pm

i understand -100 is alot and taking the best scorer from sunday but..

then id have to look into each matchup more in depth to see what points id have to subtract. some guys might lose 50 poitns others 75. and it would be harder for me if i had to subtract a different amount for each team. the 100 is eas yand quick for me.

on another note i set my lineups every monday and count out my 40 starts. everyone can do it as long as they can count to 40 correctly. even if u have to double check
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cwsfantasyleagues.forumakers.com
sirspe

PostSubject: Re: -100 rule change?   Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:44 am

I understand about setting 40 starts on Monday, but injuries change things a bit.
Like Ty Thomas missing a game due to sickness and then only playing 1/2 the next game... chances are you bench him until he has 1 game back. Who knows? If you have 1 other player nursing an injury (Gasol, Vince, etc..) and you may play 36 out of 40 games. And you can't risk starting 41 because the hit is SO big.

How often does someone go over 40? I imagine most opponents are pointing out the offense on the league board. It's not that much work? Just look at Sunday and subtract the highest number. Easy. And way more fair than -100.

If you wanted a hands off approach, we could simply follow ESPN defaults (allowing over the game max on Sunday), but you liked the penalty... this a much more fair penalty, but carries no advantage for risking 40+ games. People will still follow the rule.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LM CWS(nbcards)
Admin

PostSubject: Re: -100 rule change?   Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:27 am

sirspe wrote:
I understand about setting 40 starts on Monday, but injuries change things a bit.
Like Ty Thomas missing a game due to sickness and then only playing 1/2 the next game... chances are you bench him until he has 1 game back. Who knows? If you have 1 other player nursing an injury (Gasol, Vince, etc..) and you may play 36 out of 40 games. And you can't risk starting 41 because the hit is SO big.

How often does someone go over 40? I imagine most opponents are pointing out the offense on the league board. It's not that much work? Just look at Sunday and subtract the highest number. Easy. And way more fair than -100.

If you wanted a hands off approach, we could simply follow ESPN defaults (allowing over the game max on Sunday), but you liked the penalty... this a much more fair penalty, but carries no advantage for risking 40+ games. People will still follow the rule.

i havent had any complaints this year about the penalty.
Back to top Go down
sirspe

PostSubject: Re: -100 rule change?   Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:33 pm

Right. I'm not "complaining," because I agree that a 40 game cap is good. So, there needs to be some penalty to keep people from trying it. If you recall, last year, -100 got the most votes, but many voted for -50 while others voted for ESPN defaults. The knock against -50 is that some players score more than 50. People wanted a real penalty for players that go over.

I lost last week. in part, because of my own stupidity. I fully admit that. I didn't check in Sunday. I didn't properly set my Sunday lineup beforehand (I thought I did... but maybe messed it up when I altered Saturdays. I don't know).

But part of the reason I lost was because I was scared that I may already hit my limit... The only thing worse than benching Durant's possible 65 point night, would be playing an extra game and getting hit with a -100 point penalty.

I'm not saying it's a bad rule... but there's a better one that should be implemented. We're not changing the rules midseason. We're just relaxing the penalty. There's still no possible advantage to going over 40 games. And the FEW times that ever happens, the penalty is EASY to apply.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LM CWS(nbcards)
Admin

PostSubject: Re: -100 rule change?   Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:35 pm

if u go to the box score it tell u how many starts u have used.
Back to top Go down
Nebraska

PostSubject: Re: -100 rule change?   Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:10 am

yea, being scared you missed the limit is not a good excuse, because it's EASY to tell how many starts you have used. Case closed. -100 pt. penalty for every player that goes over. It's EASY to avoid, so just take one minute at the beginning of each week and make sure you can count to 40.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LM CWS(nbcards)
Admin

PostSubject: Re: -100 rule change?   Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:29 am

it will be staying at -100 points per start over the start limit

case closed. topic locked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: -100 rule change?   

Back to top Go down